Sunday Assembly isn’t just about Sundays; there’s a whole load of living better, helping often, and wondering more that goes on outside the assemblies – and we need somebody to help organise it. Here’s most of the stuff you could ever need to know, but don’t hesitate to get in touch in you feel like making the world just a tiny bit better…
About the role
The Community Engagement Lead is a support for all of the fantastic activities that happen outside of assemblies and fall under the umbrella of our values, live better, help often, wonder more. You will encourage people throughout the Sunday Assembly London community to take part in activities, volunteering and be involved with discussions about development and new initiatives. The Community Engagement lead is part of the Sunday Assembly Coordination Crew.
What you will be doing
- Recruiting & supporting volunteers to run help often and live better teams.
- Running our online and face-to-face community meetings – chat, check-in, catch up.
- Keeping a record of community-led groups under the live better, help often, wonder more themes, such as article club, poetry group, board games.
- Give support to community-led groups when appropriate.
- Regularly attending Sunday Assembly London assemblies.
- Communicate with community members across Sunday Assembly London to get their views about Sunday Assembly, its activities and plans.
How much time will it normally take?
As Community Engagement Lead, you will be part of the Coordination Crew. This group meets twice a month for an hour. In addition to this, 1 or 2 hours a week to develop and support the values teams. Because this role is about connecting across the community, ideally you should be able to attend the majority of assemblies at Conway Hall.
What support will be available?
As a Sunday Assembly volunteer you will have the opportunity to talk to your team leader and other team members when you start a new type of volunteering activity. Your team leader will be the Coordination Crew Lead.
You will also receive a volunteer handbook designed to help everyone access information easily and dip into to check things out.
What should I be able to do?
These are the skills and experiences that will be useful for you as a Community Engagement Lead.
- Be confident in talking to people and listening to what they have to say.
- Be able to develop new activities with a group of people.
- Be passionate about building inclusive communities and safe spaces for people to share, learn and celebrate.
- Work well within a team of people with different skills and abilities.
- Lead from within a team rather than from the front.
What will I learn?
For some roles, there might be training and a chance to gain new skills.
You will have the opportunity to gain experience leading groups of people in a volunteer led charity.
- Experience working with and supporting peer volunteers.
- An understanding of how small volunteer-led charities run.
What do I do if I want to apply for this role?
That bit is easy. The first step is to have a chat with the Coordination Crew lead, Matt Lockwood. Drop me an email to email@example.com and we’ll arrange a chat.