We are very pleased to announce the Sunday Assembly Community Building Summer Programme. We are offering 10 volunteer internships for a six week programme, to help people all over the world start their own Assemblies. We’re on track to have 100 Assemblies by the end of the year and YOU would be a key part of making that happen.
We’ve just got a new office in Oxford Street (for free) and we want to fill it with ten of the nicest, funnest, go-gettingest folk interns around. You’ll be helping build a global grassroots movement that is getting in the news – Guardian, NPR, FT, Economist, Times, BBC, Sydney Morning Herald, VICE – and getting on the ground – Assemblies in Sao Paulo, Manila, Stellenbosch, and Amsterdam, to name but a few.
In short, we’re after fun and friendly people that want to get experience volunteering for a grassroots community organisation that’s changing the world. In return you’ll get a super fun environment, training in various aspects of the organisation, and the chance make a real difference to the expansion of Sunday Assembly globally.
Now, we can only offer lunch money (and lots of appreciation) for this, because we have very little money ourselves. However, what we do have is some amazing volunteers and, with their help, we are putting together 6 half day training sessions, so that you not only get experience building community but you also learn cutting edge grassroots and leadership skills from amazing people.
The Sunday Assembly Community Building Summer Programme
About Sunday Assembly
The Sunday Assembly is a godless congregation that celebrates life. Our motto: live better, help often, wonder more. Our mission: to help everyone find and fulfill their full potential. Our vision: a godless congregation in every town, city and village that wants one.
We started in London in Jan 2013 and quickly had lots of people from around the world interested in starting their own assemblies. We now have 26 assemblies up and running across the world (in places like Leeds, and Nashville, and Melbourne) but we don’t want to stop there. We want 100 assemblies up and running by the end of the year.
Purpose of the Community Organiser
You’ll be acting as guides to organisers of new assemblies that are setting up around the world. Community Organisers will help support new Assemblies to put together a local organising team and get things up and running, as well as being a friendly point of contact to help them troubleshoot problems as they arise.
By the end of your internship you will have helped create new communities across the world.
Projects May Include
- Making contact with our organising teams and leaders from around the world
- Being their ‘Guide’ through the process of starting up a new local Sunday Assembly
- Making sure new Assemblies have all the documents and toolkits they need to get going
- Responding to queries as and when they arise (during office hours)
- Finding other potential organisers in the local areas you’re working with to help form a local organising team
Skills, Abilities and Attributes
- Positive, friendly and fun (absolutely essential!)
- Fantastic written and verbal communication skills (most of your work will be done on the phone, via skype or by email)
- Self motivated and well organised
- An interest in community organisations and social change
- A commitment to wanting to make the world a better place
- Experience of volunteering or working for a grassroots community organisation (desirable)
Ideally you’ll also have a laptop you can bring with you to work on.
6 weeks (ideally full time but we’re flexible if you have other important commitments) from the week commencing Tuesday 28th May (some flexibility on start date if still finishing exams etc).
Hours by agreement between 10-6pm Monday to Friday at our offices in Central London (near to Tottenham Court Road)
Attendance at Sunday Assembly London on the 1st and 3rd Sunday’s of the month as often as you can (it’s important you see what we do in order to help other folk out!)
We might not have access to money, but we do have access to amazing volunteers who will come into speak on key subjects as part of 6 half day workshops. These topics include:
- Grassroots Organising
- Marketing and Communications
- Improv and Public Speaking
- Social Impact and Theories of Change
Support and Benefits
- Expenses covered up to £20 a week
- Weekly half day training workshops on different elements of our organisation from a sparkly array of speakers (see above)
- The chance to make a real difference to the expansion of an exciting, young, international grassroots organisation
- A glowing reference upon successful completion of the programme
- The warm fuzzy feeling of knowing you’re helping to change the world for the better
What to do next
If you’re interested in coming on board for the summer, drop us a line ASAP and by Wed 21st May at the latest, at email@example.com telling us the following (in 250 words or less):
- why you think Sunday Assembly is great
- why you are great
- and finally how you think your greatness can make Sunday Assembly even more great
Please pop “I want to make Sunday Assembly even more great” in the subject line of your email so we can find your email quickly. We can’t wait to meet you.